Monday, August 21, 2017

How Surviving Cancer Inspired My 5 Step Process

I’m a real estate investor from the greater Cleveland Ohio area, which for a long time people called “the mistake on the lake.” But right now there’s amazing things happening in Cleveland.

Not only is it amazing for sports, with Lebron James and the Cavs winning a championship, and the Cleveland Indians making a World Series run, but there are also amazing things happening in real estate. The Wall Street Journal just recognized the city for having one of the top ten revitalized downtowns in the US, and RealtyTrac ranks it as one of the top ten markets in the country for cash flowing rental properties.

ATTOM Data Solutions also just recognized Cleveland as the number one market in the country for the margin of profit per flip, by looking at gross sales price compared to gross sold price.


Now, I’ve been investing in Cleveland for 12 years. I didn’t start investing in Cleveland because of those stats. Those are all new.

As a matter of fact, when we do our Flip and Fund Summits around the country, some people end up turning around and investing in my market and they become my competition, which is just fine. I’m a big picture thinker. I think the world is a big place.

I founded a bunch of companies. Right now my focus is on funding and automating my business, bringing in the people, the staff, the team to automate what we’re doing. As the CEO of these organizations, my number one focus is people.

My friends that own multimillion dollar businesses, even billion dollar businesses, say, “Look, when you cross the threshold of making a million dollars a year or more in your personal life, we all believe the same thing, which is it’s all about the people.

So for many of you that are just getting started in your real estate investing business, you need the knowledge, you need the material, you need the information to be successful, but you can only take your business so far.

My focus right now in my businesses is finding all the right people in all the right spots, because they are all systemized, they are all operational and they are all making money. Now it is just about pouring gas on the fire.

I’m a former series 6, 66 and 63 licensed financial advisor. I had about $30 million under management when I was 26 years old. I walked away from it cold turkey to do real estate, because I noticed that most of my highest level financial planning clients didn’t have all their money with me in the market. They owned real estate, they owned golf courses, they owned rental properties, and they owned buildings and restaurants. I took notice, and at 26 years old I just started buying real estate. Around the fall of 2003, I walked away from a six-figure income to do real estate full time.

So I know everyone has a story, every single person is in a certain circumstance right now, and you’re probably thinking, “How do I get out of my regular job, the thing I do every day, to pay the bills, take care of my spouse, take care of my kids, my family, and how do I do real estate full time?”

You might be thinking, “How do I just add a bunch of passive income to what I’m already doing?” Maybe you really like what you do from 9:00 to 5:00, and you really enjoy it. You’ve built up a career, you like your employees, the people that you work with, and you’re thinking about passive income. It’s really all about you knowing exactly where you want to go.

Now, above all else, above everything else that I’ve accomplished, the businesses that I’ve built, the businesses that I’ve sold, all the real estate investment transactions that we’ve done, the most important thing that ever happened to me was being diagnosed with cancer.

Read the whole How Surviving Cancer Inspired My 5 Step Process article here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment